Color Your Plate Healthy!
A colorful plate of fresh fruits and vegetables isn’t just delicious and pretty to look at – those colors have a purpose! The rainbow of colors in your local produce department or farmer’s market can tell you a lot about what nutrients each one contains. Read more to find out what those colors mean for your health!
Contains antioxidants and may promote healthy vision and reduce some cancer risks
Orange & Deep Yellow
Promote healthy vision, immunity help prevent some cancers
Purple & Blue
Antioxidant and anti-aging benefits, help with memory, urinary tract health and reduce some cancer risks
Help maintain a healthy heart, vision, immunity and reduce some cancer risk
White, Tan & Brown
May promote heart health and reduce the risk of some cancers
Meal Planning Made Easy
Meal planning has many advantages including reducing monthly food waste, decreasing stress and saving you money! People are often intimidated by the idea of meal planning, but if you find the right plan for you and your family, it is actually quite simple! Remember, crockpot meals and make ahead freezer meals can save time as well during a busy week. Just set aside a little time on the weekends to prep.
Here are important steps to help you meal plan!
Meal Planning Step-by-Step
- Print off a calendar each month with the days of the week listed on it.
- Mark busy nights where you know leftovers or a quick meal will be a must.
- On a different sheet of paper, write down meals (20-25) that you and your family enjoy.
- Plug those meals into your monthly calendar depending on how often you want to cook each week.
- Write down the ingredients you will need to cook each meal. Make sure to check your pantry and fridge, and cross off any ingredients you already have on hand.
- Use this list to grocery shop!
Congrats! You just meal planned!